Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Thoughts from week 2 of the college football season

Well, week 2 has come and gone, and I almost didn't get this post out before week 3 started, so here we go.  What did I think about week 3 of the season?  Well......

1. Oklahoma State is damn scary on offense and I really love the diamond formation.  You look at it and you flash back to watching teams running the full house backfield stuff.  I love it because it reminds us that there is very little new under the sun.  If you have more blockers at the point of attack, you will succeed.....(extra periods for emphasis)

Oh, and I am starting to have real concerns about the strength of the Pac-10 south.  I mean, ASU is the class of it and they had to go to OT to beat a rebuilding Mizzou team? Ouch  Hey, nothing against the Tigers, but a potential conference champ should thump a team that strugged against the other Miami.


2. One more note about Arizona State.  They might not be as good as advertised, but I do now understand the fascination with Brock Osweiler.  He is big, strong, and much more athletic than the standard 6'8" QB.


3. The state is Iowa is in shock, and I LOVE IT. 

4. Uhm, I know it's early, but Wisconsin is 2-0 against BCS teams and Russell Wilson has a QB rating of 237.6.  Do you know what it takes to get a rating of 237.6?  Well apparently it takes 27 of 34 with 5 TD's and 0 INT's.  Oh, and he ha 73 yards rushing on 6 carries and a TD. I can't wait for this one.  In the meantime, they have to be the favorite in the Big 10.

5. Speaking of the Big 10?  I know the Buckeyes are missing some starters and all, but 27-22 against Toledo?  That kind of effort is not going to cut it against the Canes.....and disturbingly, this is the second week in a row that I will be rooting for the Canes.  I feel so dirty.

6. Auburn may not be a great team, but they are unbeaten and they are putting on some damned exciting games.

7. Well, in the battle of the smart kids....Duke has some smart kids.

8. I almost forgot what the Oregon offense could do when their O-Line wasn't overmatched.  D.A.M.N.

9. Man those SEC teams are playing some damned tight games, but aren't they supposed to known for their defense?  People can say what they want about Mark Richt, he can coach offense with anybody.

10. I am the first to admit, that being an FSU fan, I am a little biased, and I know they haven't played anyone yet.  I am also pretty nervous about OU coming to town after last year when they rolled us and kicked us back to the Sunshine state, but........2 games and the opponents have 10 points, 1 offensive touchdown and less than 300 yards of total offense.  Now comes the big test. :)

11. I am pretty sure that I could gladly watch Denard Robinson play football every day.  He is scarily similar to Mike Vick when he was at Va Tech.  He doesn't quite have the same kind of arm, but he does have that kind of effect on the game.  That said, Notre Dame is snake bit, there is no way a team with their firepower should be 0fer.


BRING ON WEEK 3!!!

No comments: