Friday, October 12, 2012

FUJITA FIRES BACK A GOODELL ABOUT HANDLING OF BOUNTY SCANDAL…

FUJITA FIRES BACK A GOODELL ABOUT HANDLING OF BOUNTY SCANDAL -

With as much purpose as any tackle he’s ever made, Browns linebacker Scott Fujita delivered a shot to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. Angered by Goodell’s handling of the New Orleans Saints’ bounty scandal, Fujita accused the commissioner of misusing his power, questioned his record on player safety and vowed to keep fighting to clear his name. “The commissioner says he is disappointed in me,” Fujita said.

“The truth is, I’m disappointed in him.” A day after Goodell reduced his three-game suspension to one for alleged involvement in the Saints’ pay-for-hits program and ruled on the penalties for three other players, Fujita took on the commissioner in a strongly worded statement. Fujita charged Goodell with “abuse of power” and expressed his displeasure with the way his suspension was lessened. On Tuesday, Goodell sent Fujita a letter in which he chastised Fujita, a 10-year veteran and member of the NFL Players Association’s executive committee for not doing more to stop his former teammates in New Orleans from taking part in the bounty program. Fujita said after practice Wednesday: “For him to come out and say he was disappointed in me for not standing up to my coach. I haven’t had someone tell me they were disappointed in me since I was 12 years old, and that was my father.” Fujita will appeal his one-game suspension and intends to play Sunday when the winless Browns (0-5) host the Cincinnati Bengals.

No comments: