Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pete Rose Says Derek Jeter Won’t Break His All Time Hit’s Record

Pete Rose would like to get himself into the Hall Of Fame some day and keep himself relevant at the same time.

What better way then to voice your opinion about guy chasing you on the all time hit’s list.

He’s also the golden boy of the New York Yankees.

The New York Daily News is reporting that Rose gave an interview to Joe Posnanski for Sports on Earth, and in it voiced his opinion on what shot Jeter might have to catch him.
“What does he have now? What, 3,303 hits?” Rose says, according to the story. “I don’t think he will break the record. First of all, I don’t think he wants to leave the Yankees. And the Yankees, they’re about winning. Jeter had a great year this year, but he’s what? Thirty-eight years old? And he’s a shortstop? How many 40-year-old shortstops you see walking around? Not too many, right? And they can’t put him at third because A-Rod’s there. They can’t put him at second ’cause Cano’s there. He don’t help them in left field – he’s got to be in the center of things, you know what I mean? What are they going to do? Put him at first base?”
“He still needs 950 (952 to tie Rose) hits, right? He had a great year this year, but you think he can do that again? At 39? A shortstop? Let’s say he does it again. Let’s say he gets 200 more hits next year. And let’s say he gets 200 more hits when he’s 40, though I don’t think he can. OK, can he get 200 more hits when he’s 41? You think he can? I don’t think he can get 200 more hits at 41, but let’s say he does. OK, now he’s 42. He’s gonna get 200 more hits then? At 42? Let me tell you, I’ve been there, the body locks up. Jeter’s a great hitter. I’d say he hits like I did. But he’s gonna get 200 hits when he’s 42? I don’t think he will. And even if he does all that, he’s STILL 150 hits short.”
I don’t think Jeter will catch Rose either, funny thing is he doesn’t have to.

Derek Jeter will be an icon regardless.

Rose on the other hand needs to worry about swaying some folks to his side.

Be sure to check out other great articles at BlackSportsOnline.


Robert Littal

No comments: