Monday, October 15, 2012

Ray Lewis in Denial About His Declining Skills


Legendary players are rarely rational.

I wouldn’t expect them to be, do you ever think you are going to hear Kobe Bryant say he isn’t the best player in the NBA even though we know he isn’t?

I equate Ray Lewis a little bit to Floyd Mayweather. When you play (or fight) at such a high level for such a long period of time any slippage becomes very noticeable.

I joke that Miguel Cotto is one of the few boxers in history to get dominated in a fight, lose a unanimous decision where it wasn’t even close and still walked away looking like a winner.

You know why?

Because he drew blood against Floyd Mayweather and no one does that.

Same thing with Reverend Ray, he isn’t the same player he once was and the Ravens defense is no longer dominant, but did you really think he would admit that?

He was asked about his skills and here is the sermon he gave in response.
“Keep watching,” said Lewis, whose Ravens host the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday. “I’ve heard that my whole career. I’ve never picked up a phone, I’ve never texted a person that writes about me. I’ve never had a conversation before. I don’t even pay it no attention, I just keep rolling.

“It’s always amazing. One of the things in athletics: The greater you become, the more weakness people look for. In any other realm of the world, your résumé speaks for itself. Your résumé dictates how much money you make on a regular 9-to-5 job and all of your credentials, they go high. That’s just the way people look at you. It’s just like a military service — ‘How many bars you got?’ And to be where I am in my career and all people look for is, ‘Oh, he’s not this and he’s not that.’ Nobody is the same. Everybody is getting older. That’s life.”
Be sure to check out other great articles at BlackSportsOnline.

Robert Littal

No comments: