Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Bills’ C.J. Spiller frustrated by lack of touches

It’s been an extremely disappointing year for the Buffalo Bills. A 2012 campaign that began with Super Bowl aspirations is going to end in a familiar place: the AFC basement.

On a personal level, it’s all the more maddening for C.J. Spiller.

Now in his third year, the speedy running back has established himself as one of the most electrifying players in the NFL, yet he’s barely incorporated into the offense. It’s one of the more puzzling situations you’ll come across, and Spiller, like all of us, has taken notice.

“I really can’t control how many times I touch the ball, guys,” Spiller said, via the Buffalo News. “I keep saying it over and over, but I don’t know what else y’all want me to say. The only thing I can do, when my number’s called, is do the best I can. Even when it’s not, just try to do the best I can.”

In the Bills’ 15-12 loss to the Rams on Sunday, Spiller received just seven carries and totaled one reception. For someone of his ability, eight touches is almost a slap in the face, especially in an offense that often fails to establish drives.

Spiller, a fairly low key guy, admits he’s frustrated with his role.

“Of course I want to touch the ball more, but there’s no need for me to sit around and mope and groan and do all that stuff. That’s high school. That’s childish. That’s not what I’m all about,” Spiller said. “Is the frustration there? Yeah, deep down inside your gut as a competitor, yeah it’s there, but there’s nothing I can do about it, so I’m not going to sit around and pout.”

Head coach Chan Gailey maintained that he’s attempted to use both Spiller and Fred Jackson in a timeshare, but that equation changed after Jackson suffered a season-ending injury during the game.
Over the final three games, Spiller will get what’s coming to him — a feature back role. Although he’ll face three stout rushing defenses in the Seahawks, Dolphins and Jets, he has a golden chance to make Gailey look particularly foolish and stake his claim to be the starter in 2013.
Be sure to check out other great articles at Helmet2Helmet.net.

No comments: