Monday, December 3, 2012

Russell Wilson leads Seattle to late win against Chicago

The Chicago Bears needed to keep Jay Cutler upright if they were going to defeat the Seattle Seahawks.

They did that but it was their defense who could not contain Seattle’s Russell Wilson late in Sunday’s game.

Earlier in the week, Seattle head coach Pete Carroll said that the training wheels were off of the offense. Wilson attempted a career high 37 passes against the Bears.

Seattle entered the day 1-5 on the road but found a way to defeat the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field by a score of 23-17. The key to the win may have been the scrambling of Wilson as he repeatedly
connected with Seahawk receivers on the teams final drive of the day.

Earl Bennett scored the first score of the game for the Bears as he vaulted into the endzone on a 12 yard pass from Jay Cutler.

Seattle would tie the game up in the second quarter on a 4 yard touchdown run by Marshawn Lynch.

They would add a field goal by Steven Hauschka of 31 yards to give them a 10-7 lead at halftime. The Seahawks nearly had a touchdown on that drive but a booth review ruled that Braylon Edwards did not secure the football before it touched the ground.

The Bears though responded with a 12 yard touchdown pass from Cutler to running back Matt Forte with 3:53 left in the third quarter.

Late in the fourth quarter the Seahawks had a chance to put together a game winning drive. Starting near their own goal line the Seahawks moved near half field with under two minutes left in the game. A holding penalty called back a third down conversion which forced a 3-and-14. Seattle subsequently completed an 11 yard pass on third down before Wilson found Zach Miller for a first down with under one minute left.

Wilson then slung the ball down field to Sidney Rice for a 26 yard gain. Moments later Wilson found Golden Tate for a 14 yard touchdown pass as the Bears missed three tackles on the play. The touchdown gave Seattle a 17-14 lead.

The Bears would have one final chance to win the game. Jay Cutler found longtime teammate Brandon Marshall for a 56 yard pass. It was the tenth catch of the day for Marshall and immediately the Bears were in field goal range. Robby Gould came on to attempt a 46 yard field goal which went right down the middle to force over time.

Seattle got the ball first in overtime and wasted little time getting to midfield. The Seahakws then began a slow crawl towards the endzone. It was a brutal drive for the Bears defense as both Kris Jenkins and then Brian Urlacher left the field with injuries.

A play after Urlacher left the field, Wilson connected with Rice for another touchdown pass. As Rice went into the endzone Major Wright Wright delivered a brutal blow to the neck region of Rice. Rice was helped off the field.

The win was the third comeback win in the 4th quarter or Overtime for Seattle this season.
John Boarman

Final: Seattle 23, Chicago 17
Post a Comment