Thursday, December 20, 2012

Vernon Davis: Kaepernick and I Don't Have Chemistry


Vernon Davis has 10 receptions for 112 yards in five games since Colin Kaepernick took over for Alex Smith under center. For the Pro Bowl tight end, that is simply not up to par.


Davis has flip-flopped in his stance over who he feels deserves to be the 49ers' quarterback -- Smith or Kaepernick -- but now with Kaepernick as the regular at the helm for San Francisco, Davis now must adjust to the new man throwing him the ball.

He said as much Tuesday, according to Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee.

"The 11-85 connection was established several years ago as a tried and trusted coordidor. The 7-85 connection? It's still under construction, said tight end Vernon Davis, who said he's having to start from scratch as far as building chemistry with a new quarterback. 
"'That's something me and Kap don't have right now,' said Davis, who was held to one catch Sunday in New England. 'We don't have it. You have to expect (that because) he just stepped in. Me and Alex - we've been there. It takes time. It took time for me and Alex to get like that.' 
"'In the beginning, he'd underthrow me, he'd overthrow me because we had to build that chemistry that I would be in that spot right when I need to be,' Davis said of Smith. 'And that's something that me and Kap don't have right now. But we're working on it. We started working on it the moment he walked in.'"

Be sure to check out other great articles at Bay Area Sports Talk.

No comments: