Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Buffalo Bills pull the plug on Chan Gailey

Whether or not Chan Gailey would be fired has been a touch-and-go subject as of late. General manager Buddy Nix has been telling anybody that would listen that all the team needs is a new quarterback.
Obviously the issues run deeper than that as Gailey is gone.


The team released a terse statement on their website that applies to both  Gailey and his entire staff.

“The Buffalo Bills today are announcing that Chan Gailey has been relieved of his duties as the team’s head coach.”

Gailey responded with a statement of his own.

A couple of things. One, Scott (Berchtold) wanted to make sure I clarified one thing, the staff has been relieved of their duties as well. Just so we all get that straight. The second thing is there won’t be any questions after this. I’ve just got a few things I want to say.

The first thing I want to say is thanks to the Bills organization, to Buddy (Nix) and Mr. Wilson for the opportunity. I understand this is a business. We didn’t get the job done. I’ve been called two other times to turn things around, was able to do it. I wasn’t able to get this one done soon enough, and I understand that completely.

I want to thank the fans. Great Buffalo fans, a great football town. These are loyal, loyal fans and I understand that. I think that the next staff will have a great opportunity for success and to make this another great football franchise.

This will probably be, and I say probably, but I think it will be the first place that’s ever fired me that I’ll pull for. Thank you.

Gailey guided the Bills to a 6-10 season after a losing 2011 run.

Adrian Glover

More Black Monday Moves: 
Browns Fire Coach Shurmur
Jaguars Fire GM Gene Smith
Jets Fire GM;Keep Coach
Panthers Won’t Decide Ron Rivera’s Fate On Black Monday
Bears Fire Lovie Smith
Be sure to check out other great articles at Players View.

No comments: