Monday, March 4, 2013

Adam Jones: I’m going after Cal Ripken’s Record


There are 162 game in a Major League Baseball season. With so many games and so little time off in between, you typically can see numerous players get days off from time to time in an effort to conserve their energy. It actually has gotten to the point where it is a rarity to see a player not miss a game all season.

But the Baltimore Orioles Adam Jones has a different mentality. Jones didn’t miss a single game all last season, something the young star outfielder takes pride in. In fact, Jones was so pleased with his games played streak, that he feels he has a shot at breaking the all-time record of consecutive games played. 2,632. A mark held by another Orioles great Cal Ripken.

Jones elaborated on his aspirations while talking with reporters recently.
Per Baltimore Nesn: “I’m going to break Cal’s record,” Jones said to reporters. “I’m going after Cal. Cal is in my sights. Sixteen more years. But that’s my goal. If I show up at the ballpark, I’d rather play than sit. I’d rather play than have a day off. That’s just my mentality.”
You have to like Jones’ bravado.

If he is actually going to make his claim a reality, he will have to stay injury free for a long time to come.

Regardless of whether or not you think he can do it, Orioles fans have to be excited to have a young star so committed to playing the game.

Be sure to check out other great articles at BlackSportsOnline.

No comments: