Friday, May 24, 2013

Geno Smith was scolded for playoff proclamation

Geno Smith has been a quick study when it comes to learning how to handle the intense media presence that envelopes the New York Jets.

Smith provided a shining example of how not to deal with the media during the week preceding the 2013 NFL draft.

So much so that his mouth and the fingers that typed some ill-advised Tweets may have cost him first-round money. 

On Sunday, he spoke with SiriusXM Radio, via ESPN, about getting a talking to about his choice of words moments after being drafted by the Jets in the second-round.

“I’ve already gotten in trouble for saying some things about playoffs and things, which I don’t regret,” Smith said.

“I don’t think I’ll go as far as being as bold as Joe was.”

Joe being Joe Namath, the iconic Jets quarterback that infamously guaranteed and delivered upon a promise to beat the Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl III.

Namath’s swagger eventually rubbed off on current Jets coach Rex Ryan who promised multiple Super Bowls only to fall short.

Ryan has since backed away from making pre-season guarantees.

Geno Smith is a youngster that publicly got off on the wrong foot.

He stated that he has come to grips with how the publishing world operates.

“I don’t think I’m a bad guy,” he said. “I don’t think I’m some of the things they try to make me out to be. It’s a part of the media. The one thing that I understand is you can’t take it personally. Those guys have jobs and the key to their jobs is to sell papers and to keep the fans looking. So they’re going to spin things and try to make an interesting story out of something that may not be so interesting.”

Smith fired his agent just after the draft and has been on a search that has included Jay Z’s Roc Nation logo that is ran by CAA’s sports arm.

“I did some interviews with some really good candidates,” he said. “I kind of started making that decision in my head. [I] obviously had camp, so I didn’t really worry about it. I have plenty of time, don’t really need to rush it.

I’ve kind of been talking things over with my family and advisers and coming down to a decision pretty close here.”

Right now, the only other decision that should matter to Geno Smith is the one that will determine his place on the Jets depth chart.

The post Geno Smith was scolded for playoff proclamation appeared first on Players View.
Be sure to check out other great articles at Players View.

No comments: