Friday, October 25, 2013

Andrew Wiggins Says It’s Unfair to Compare Him to LeBron and Durant

All eyes were on freshman phenom Andrew Wiggins at the 2013 Big 12 Men’s Basketball Media Day that took place at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, MO yesterday.

This comes as no surprise seeing as the 18-year-old Ontario native is the number one recruit for the class of 2013. With all the hype surrounding him one has to wonder will he be able to live up to it? With comparisons to high profile players like Lebron James and Kevin Durant, Wiggins is facing an immeasurable amount of pressure and he has not even suited up for the Jayhawks yet.

Of course Kansas head coach Bill Self did his best to diffuse the situation and alleviate the some of the pressure his star player is facing via ESPN.
Well, he hasn’t asked for any of it,” Self said. “If you talk to him, he’s humble and a low key guy that deflects attention as much as anybody I’ve been around. But when you hear those things, it’s not fair. … He’s just Andrew
Wiggins also speaks on the comparisons to who ESPN ranked the #1 and #2 best players in the NBA.
I’ve got a long way to go before I can be compared to LeBron and Durant,” Wiggins said. “Those are the best players in the world right now and I’m still in college. So I think it’s really unfair to compare me to someone of that caliber. Hopefully one day I can be compared to them, but I think I still have a long way to go before I can be.”
Is it really fair to compare an 18-year-old freshman at KU to a 4 time MVP and a back to back NBA Champion?

I know comparisons are all for the sake of competition but I would have to agree with Wiggins. He is not Lebron James or Kevin Durant. To expect him to play like them at the tender age of 18, and then allow the media to rip him to shreds when he does not is unfair.

Let him be Andrew Wiggins.

He will make a name for himself.
 
Be sure to check out other great articles at BlackSportsOnline.

No comments: