Friday, November 9, 2012

Pete Carroll Still says Mark Sanchez should have Stayed at USC


The New York Jets are taking on the Seattle Seahawks this Sunday, and an interesting subplot to the game is the reunion of Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez and his former college coach Pete Carroll.
If you remember, Sanchez left USC while he still had another year of eligibility and Carroll let it be known that he thought his quarterback was making a mistake. Saying that another year of college would have benefited the young signal caller.

Sanchez left anyway and was taken with the fifth overall pick in the 2009 draft by the New York Jets. While he did lead the team to two AFC Championships in his first two seasons, he has struggled since. Perhaps proving Carroll’s point.

Jets coach Rex Ryan had some interesting comments about Carroll’s stance on Sanchez.
Per the New York Daily News: “I did not blame Pete Carroll one bit because if I had that young man as my quarterback I’d say whatever it took to get the guy to stay with me,” Ryan said. ”Deep down, he knew he was ready. This guy has a ton of ability. You don’t want to lose a player of this caliber, especially one at that position. It’s hard to find these quarterbacks.”
I told Mark exactly what I would have told my son. Exactly,” Carroll said, via Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times. I just told him what I knew was the truth. He could have been better prepared if we’d have had him for another year. And I think it would have served him even better.”
I honestly believe Carroll thought Sanchez should have stayed in school. He shot up draft boards after one season, and if his recent play is any indication the extra time in college certainly wouldn’t have hurt.

Robert Littal

Be sure to check out other great articles at BlackSportsOnline.

No comments: